Penticton, BC – The B.C. Wine Appellation Task Group is heralding the strong response to its wine industry and consumer online survey, which was conducted beginning June 15th and closed on July 3rd. There were 849 individual responses to the survey on key issues surrounding the origin and identity of wine made from 100% British Columbia-grown grapes.
“We are delighted with the enthusiastic response from wineries of all sizes, as well as grape growers, wine sellers, the restaurant and hospitality sectors, and consumers,” says Ezra Cipes, Chair of the B.C. Wine Appellation Task Group. “It is more evidence of how passionate British Columbians are about our wine industry.”
The B.C. Wine Appellation Task Group is an independent committee of wine industry leaders who have received the support of Hon. Norm Letnick, Minister of Agriculture, to review and recommend reforms to the province’s Wines of Marked Quality regulations. An industry engagement and consultation process has been underway since April to seek input to recommend improvements on our system of appellations, and the certification for wine produced from 100% BC grapes.
“Getting the opinions of hundreds of key stakeholders and of those who buy and consume our wines is critically important to the Task Group’s work,” adds Cipes. “I am thankful that so many individuals are invested in the success of B.C.’s wine industry that they would take the time to respond to our survey.”
An independent third party – the Howegroup, conducted the Task Group’s industry and consumer survey. The identity of respondents is kept confidential. A final report with the Task Group recommendations will be released at the end of September 2015.
The B.C. Wine Appellation Task Group are:
- Ezra Cipes, Summerhill Pyramid Winery – Chair
- Christine Coletta, Okanagan Crush Pad Winery
- Bill Eggert, Fairview Cellars
- Andy Johnston, Averill Creek Vineyards – Vice-Chair
- Derek Kontkanen, Inniskillin Okanagan
- Eugene Kwan, Chaberton Estate Winery
- Ian MacDonald, Liquidity Wines
- Christie Mavety, Blue Mountain Winery
- Harry McWatters, Time Estate Winery
- JAK Meyer, Meyer Family Vineyards
- Rhys Pender, Little Farm Winery
- John Skinner, Painted Rock Estate Winery
- Bob Tennant, Terravista Vineyards
- Don Triggs, Culmina Family Estate Winery
- James Mack, Ministry of Agriculture